New Germany City Office is located at 300 Broadway Street East, downtown.

Mailing address: P.O. Box 177, New Germany, MN 55367-0177
Phone: (952) 353-2488
Fax: (952) 353-8021

Building inspections:  Metro West (763) 479-1720
Hall rental info: (952) 353-2488
Clerk office hours: Monday-Thursday 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.; Friday closed.

Meetings are on the first and third Tuesdays of each month at 7 p.m. at city hall.

Emergency Water and Sewer: People Service, Lee Ortloff  (612) 636-2434, Jerry Stranlund 612-644-0139, Jeremy Anderson 320-223-2034, Shawn Wilson 320-314-2511

City Hall Rental:
The city hall is rented out for all occasions. Call City of New Germany (952) 353-2488 for available dates and pricing or email The rental agreement will soon be available online.


Building Permits:
New Germany adopted the Minnesota state building code. Under the code, a building permit is required for any improvements (new, repair, remodel, or replacement). The value factors in labor whether done by a contractor or yourself.

Applications are available at city hall. Any questions regarding repairs or improvements to the property may be directed to the city clerk or to the city building inspector.

Starting a construction project without obtaining the proper permit could result in an investigation fee, which is 40 percent of the permit price, with a minimum of $50. This includes re-roofing, siding, decks, window replacement, air conditioning/heat replacement, fencing, and utility sheds.

If in doubt, call the city to see if you need a permit. Check with your contractor; they don’t always obtain a permit. House numbers should be easily visible from the street to make it easier to locate your home in an emergency situation. Numbers should be in contrast to the house color and made of reflective material.


Severe Weather:
When the siren blows, it means there is severe weather in the area, and you should take shelter immediately. If the siren continues to blow, it means there is still danger. There is NOT a siren to signal all clear. Stay tuned to your radio to be sure it is safe to come out of your basement or storm shelter.

Snow Removal:
The sidewalk in front of your property is your responsibility. Please keep it shoveled and clear of snow and ice. Sidewalks must be cleared within 24 hours after the snow ceases to fall. Residents may not blow snow onto city streets.


Garbage Pick-up:
Garbage pick-up is every Thursday and garbage should be curbside by 7 a.m. The city contracts with Waste Management for garbage removal. Residents are allowed one 35-, 64-, or 96-gallon container per week. Containers are available by calling the city at (952) 353-2488. Garbage service is billed monthly along with your city utility bill. Garbage cans must be kept off of the streets. Please keep them on your driveway.

Curbside Recycling Service:
Elite Waste Disposal provides curbside recycling service every first and third Thursday. Recyclables must be placed in recycle cans and at curbside by 7 a.m.

Acceptable products are newsprint (non-shiny); glass, aluminum cans, tin cans (rinsed and labels removed); plastics, long-necked and with one or two recycling symbols on the bottom of the bottle. Junk mail and bundled cardboard are also accepted. All items can be co-mingled in the recycling can with the yellow lid.

Cleanup day:
New Germany provides a cleanup day for city residents each spring in May at the city shed on Carver County Road 33 (State Ave. North). A small disposal fee applies for some items.

Brush/Compost Site:
New Germany residents should bring their brush to the Mayer brush site, located East on County Road 30 between New Germany and Mayer on the left-hand side (after the Crow River bridge). There is no brush site in New Germany, only compost at City Shed. Mayer site is open April – November on Wednesday from 5 PM – 8 PM and Saturday from 8 AM – 12 PM, December – March it is open on Saturday from 8 AM – 12 PM, on Holiday weekends they will be closed.

The compost site is open from April-November and is for leaves, lawn clippings, and garden waste. It is located at the city shed. Christmas trees are also recycled at the Mayer site.


Water and Sewer:
The city bills for water and sewer usage on a monthly basis. Rates are based on a service charge, plus a charge per 1,000 gallons used. There is a $10 penalty for residents who fail to provide their meter reading by the due date. Failure to pay a utility bill results in water being turned off. Water is turned on upon payment of the utility bill plus a $50 service charge. If you are moving, contact the city clerk at (952) 353-2488 with a final meter reading, forwarding address, moving date, and the new owner’s name.


Recreational fires are allowed if they meet city guidelines. Please check with the city hall before burning.


Cat and Dog licenses:
Dog and cat licenses are not required, but you must keep your animals at your command.


Parking Rules:

No parking on city streets between the hours of 2 a.m. and 7 a.m. from November 1 to March 31 (no motor vehicle shall be parked on either side of any street or alleyway within city limits).

Snowfall: No parking on city streets following a snowfall of one inch or more. This is to allow snowplow operators to clear the roads. Sheriff’s dispatch will be called and violators will be ticketed and towed; no exceptions will be made.

Ordinance Code 70.01 -70.20 addresses overtime parking and parking of commercial vehicles, non-motorized vehicle, or trailer parking.


Junk Vehicles and Blight Ordinance:
Residents are not allowed to store inoperable or unlicensed cars in their yards. Recreational vehicles are to be parked on impervious surfaces.

Residents must also keep the exterior of their homes in good condition, as well as keep yards mowed and weeds cut down.

Ordinance code 92.01 – 92.38  is to prevent, reduce, or eliminate blight, blighting factors, or causes of blight within the city of New Germany. This includes exterior property areas, vacant properties, the exterior of structures, the interior of structures, vacated structures, junk automobiles and junk equipment, noxious weeds, and pests, and any and all sanitation conditions. Each spring, the city does a city-wide inspection and sends letters to those who are not in compliance.


More Information:
New residents are encouraged to stop by or contact city hall for any other information (952) 353-2488.



  • Electricity: Xcel Energy, 421 Wabasha St., St. Paul, MN 55102. Customer service 800-481-4700; Emergency or lights out only: 800-641-4400; TDD/TYY 800-288-5533.
  • Gas: CenterPoint Energy, 2400 Riverfront Drive, Mankato, MN. Customer service 800-245-2377; Emergency only: (gas leaks) 800-722-9326; TTY/voice 888-321-4977
  • Telephone: Frontier Communications of Minnesota, Inc., Customer service 800-921-8102.
  • Cable Television: NU-Telecom 888-873-6853.